congregational & evangelical
Park Street Church is congregational and evangelical. Denominationally, we are a member of the Conservative Congregational Christian Conference.
What Does Congregational Mean?
It means that we believe Christ has vested the authority of his church in the members of the local congregation, especially as they are represented in a local body of elders whom they appoint. Our goals are to:
• live our daily lives in the love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ and joyfully follow him;
• equip each believer in our community to share the gospel with family, friends and
• reach out to our community with tutoring, job training, medical advocacy and food
• love, pray for and fully support our missionaries.
What Does it Mean That Park Street Church is Evangelical?
It means that as a body of believers, we uphold the centrality and exclusivity of the gospel. We believe that Jesus Christ, who is God incarnate, is the only way of salvation and that the Bible is the inspired and inerrant Word of God. Evangelicalism is also often characterized by the following three distinctives:
• a concern to do greater justice to the social implications of the Gospel;
• an avoidance of extra-Biblical lists of do’s and don’ts and anti-intellectualism;
• a desire to unite with other Christians with whom we agree concerning the major Christian doctrines.