reaffirmation q & a
Do you have a question about your reaffirmation? Popular reaffirmation questions are listed below.
1) I can no longer attend Park Street Church because of health reasons, but I try to listen by radio or computer. What should I do?
Please reaffirm your active membership, and let us know how we can pray for and/or serve you. If you are physically able to attend a church closer to you, we encourage you to do so for fellowship and support. We do want to continue to support you as best we can.
2) I have moved out of the area but have not yet found a new home church. What do I do?
We strongly encourage you to find a local church in which you can worship and serve. No church is perfect (especially not Park Street Church!), but we as Christians are called to live in interdependence with each other and in dependence on God. Until you find a new home church, it would probably be best to have you switch to be an inactive member, so that we know not to expect you at the annual meeting (for which a quorum is required). Once you find a new church, we can write a letter of transfer to your new church.
3) If I become an inactive member or transfer out, will I have to re-take the membership classes if I move back to Boston?
No. Whether you are inactive or transfer out, we can reactive your membership when you request it upon your return. The Membership Committee formally votes on your reactivation after you request it.
4) I do not really know the minister who has been assigned to me. Can I switch?
You should feel free to contact any minister or elder for prayer or help. For the most part, the minister who taught your membership class should be the one assigned to you. If you would like to switch ministers, please email your request to Toni at email@example.com.
5) I recently got married. Does my spouse automatically become a member?
No. Your spouse needs to go through the seven-week membership class in order to become a member. You may elect to take the class with your spouse, because it is such a great chance to meet other Park Streeters.
6) My spouse and I are both members, but only one of us received a form. What do we do?
That must have been a mistake on our part. Please add your spouse to your form, or have your spouse fill out the form online at parkstreet.org/reaffirm.
7) I just joined in November. Why do I have to reaffirm in January?
Sorry this is happening so close to your joining date, but please do reaffirm your membership and let us know how we can pray for you. Feel free to also let us know if you think we should change the practice for next year! You can use this as an opportunity to pray and reflect on whether becoming a member has made a difference in your involvement and inclusion at Park Street Church.
8) Last year I requested a transfer letter or to be removed from the membership roll. Why am I still being asked to reaffirm my membership?
Please accept our apologies for not getting the records straight. Please re-send the information (feeling free to register your complaint!), and we will endeavor to do better this time.
9) Are we really going to do this every year?
As a large church, we are always trying to figure out how we can care for our individual members. This membership reaffirmation process has enabled us to pray more specifically for our members and to consider people’s feedback. As long as members keep sending in prayer requests and information, we will continue to do this annually.
Contact Toni Kim, Minister of Membership, at tkim[at]parkstreet.org or 617-523-3383 x507.
Thank you for your membership at Park Street Church.
“Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. . .
If one part suffers, every part suffers with it;
if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
Now you are the body of Christ,
and each one of you is a part of it.”
(1 Corinthians 12:14, 26-27)