Life of the Church and Prayer & Praise
SUNDAY JANUARY 31, 2021
2021 Annual Meeting Candidates
This year’s Annual Meeting will take place on WED FEB 24. View the names and biographies of this year’s candidates here.
Request for clothing donations
H.O.M.E (Homeless Outreach Ministry and Engagement) is requesting clothing donations to be distributed to our neighbors in need. Specifically, winter clothing (sizes M, L, and larger) such as sweaters, jackets, and boots. At this time, we are not interested in small sizes of men’s or women’s clothing. Please mark donations for “H.O.M.E.” and leave at the front desk of the church during opening hours until the 5th of February. If you are unable to meet the FEB 5 deadline, volunteers will be available to collect donations for the rest of the season on Thursdays, 6:00–7:30 PM and Saturdays, 12:00–2:00 PM.
Thank you for caring for our neighbors in need!
Lenten Discipleship Institute 2021
Love and Life as a New Covenant Community
Throughout the season of Lent we invite all Park Street congregants to join a Lenten Discipleship Institute (LDI) small group as we consider together the promises extended to us by Jesus Christ. In the upper room discourse in John 13–17 as the Last Supper unfolds, Jesus established a new covenant people whose primary command is to love. Such love leads to flourishing life in the midst of a challenging world. Jesus extends to us amazing blessings and extraordinary promises as we live our our lives faithfully in response to the new covenant he has established with us. We will explore how such a life is lived out in the midst of a 2021 world.
LDI 2021 will run from February 21–March 28 meeting every Sunday. Registration and more details to come soon!
All-Church Solemn Commitment to Prayer and Repentance
SUN FEB 7 | Communion Gathering
We are excited to celebrate communion with you all during this COVID season! Our next outdoor communion gathering will be SUN FEB 7, 1:30–2:00 PM.
- Please bring a chair or blanket to use for the duration of the service.
- Please the form below to register all of those who are older than 12 years (you do not need to register children under 12).
- Participants will wear masks and practice social distancing. If you show any signs or symptoms of COVID from 72 to 24 hours prior to the event, we request you refrain from attending.
- Occasionally we may need to cancel our outdoor communion services because of weather. If you would like to be notified that an outdoor communion service has been canceled, please register for that location by 12:30 PM on SUN FEB 7.
Park Street Church Warming Center
Park Street Church has opened a Warming Center. Neighbors are invited in for a 90-minute chance to get warm, eat a meal, charge their phone, and use the restroom. We also serve grab-and-go meals and hot drinks at the entrance to our church. We are seeking volunteers for the following:
- Make Sandwiches from Home and bring them to the church for our neighbors. SIGN UP
- Become an In-Person Volunteer: Contact Kimberley Morrison to sign up for a 2-hour shift on a Saturday.
We are excited about the new opportunities we have through the Warming Center to have conversations with our neighbors; pray for them; and build relationships. Last Saturday, we had folks honking their horns thanking us for this gift to our neighbors!
Logos 2021 Workshop
MAY 31 – JUN 11, 2021
Offered by SCIO (Scholarship & Christianity in Oxford), and hosted by Museum of the Bible in Washington, DC Logos 2021 is an online workshop on museums, biblical texts, vocation, and the Christian mind.
The workshop is primarily intended for graduate students (including graduating seniors who will begin advanced studies in Autumn 2021) and Logos alumni who have completed their education. Applicants should be working in Biblical-related studies with a special focus on ancient texts and manuscripts, museum studies and education programes, history of the Bible, reception history, ancient languages, and related disciplines. Applicants should be considering a vocation in one of these academic fields.
Email [email protected] to apply. The application deadline is FEB 14.
College Worship Communities
Sundays at 10:45 AM & 3:45 PM
Gather with fellow undergraduates as we stream church services together and then spend time in fellowship, reflection, and prayer. Join the morning community to stream the 11:00 AM (traditional) or the evening community to stream the 4:00 PM (contemporary). We hope to grow together in wisdom as we develop a deeper understanding of who God is on an intellectual and personal level. Students of all spiritual backgrounds are welcome! Contact Alexis.
ESL Language Partners
Park Street’s FOCUS ESL program needs more volunteers for the Language Partners program. We have 17 students this semester who have registered to be matched up with a language partner for one-on-one English conversation practice. The commitment is meeting once a week from now through April, day and time chosen by you and the student. If you are interested and/or know anyone who might be, please email Karen Patschke, Park Street’s ESL Coordinator.
Details about these and other events can be found on the events page!
Live over Zoom after each service:
This link will be live immediately after the 11:00 AM and 4:00 PM services.
Prayer & Praise
Pray for the Congregation
- “I love you, O Lord, my strength” (Psa 18:1);
- Seek the Lord while he may be found (Isa 55:6);
- Love one another that we may see whom we love (1 Jn 4:20);
- Embrace the testing of faith that leads to steadfastness (Jas 1:3).
Pray for the People
- For our Global Missionaries Stuart and Sindia Foster: safety, health and grace in resettling upon return to Mozambique after being away for almost one year due to the pandemic;
- For our Elders: boldness in their spirit, faith in their heart, and gospel in their view as they prepare for the Board of Elder vision retreat next week;
- For our Staff: remembrance of Christ as God’s gift to us, that we lead the people of God in the worship of God;
- Sympathy and prayers for the family of Raymond Kam, whose father Hon Kam passed on JAN 27 after being sick with COVID for three weeks. He was reached by Methodist missionaries in Hong Kong as a youth, and he helped bring his own mother and his siblings to faith;
- Sympathy and prayers for former missionary, Bill O’Donnell and his family as they grieve the passing of his sister, Kathleen Mitchell on JAN 25;
- Help and hope for those feeling lonely, incapacitated by fears and worries, or ensnared by addiction;
- Comfort and peace for the downcast and brokenhearted;
- Stamina and justice for the defenseless and vulnerable;
- Grace and strength for the sick and weary;
- Mercy and help for the unemployed, or food and housing insecure.
Pray for Grace
- To seek meekness that we may truly see God and others;
- To apprehend the grace of God who accepts others unlike us;
- To embrace responsibility to worship with pure hearts and clean hands.