Life of the Church
SUNDAY AUGUST 2, 2020
Request for Elder Nominations
Please pray for the future leaders of the church and for those tasked with identifying them.
If you know a Park Street member who would be a good Elder, or if you are interested in being an Elder, the Nominating Committee would like to hear from you! Send them an email at the link below.
We are very excited to announce a new online giving platform called “Realm.” Today when you visit www.parkstreet.org/giveonline, you will be taken to a secure, updated webpage. You will be required to change your password for security purposes. When you log in, all of your scheduled giving and giving history will be easily accessible.
Modern member databases like Realm have so much to offer in terms of connecting members with ministers, organizing volunteers, family ministry check-in and other features, in addition to updated online giving options. As a product designed just for churches, Realm lets us all stay in touch. You can even share photos and messages directly from your phone or computer. Realm will also be accessible via mobile apps!
As you would expect, you can update your family’s information and decide who can see it, as well as view your giving history and make contributions online.
Each of us can make this new resource a success. If you have never signed up to use MyPSC, please email [email protected] and we will send you an invitation!
Emergency Relief Fund Update
The Emergency Relief Fund continues to support food pantries at our sister churches, provide materials for face masks, help workers engaged in homeless care, purchase groceries for families with a COVID-19 diagnosis, and supply our own food bank (which provides back-up to food pantries around the city). Join in the ongoing work of City Engagement and our partnerships to serve the city!
|July 27, 2020
|Total Contributions||$ 6,240.00||$97,870.00|
|Boston Food Pantries|
|NET (Balance)||$ 3,631.23||$81,285.76|
Thank you for your generous giving!
Needed: Food Pantry Volunteers
First Congregational Church of Revere is in urgent need of volunteers for their Food Pantry!
- Mondays, 10:00–11:00 AM, unload truck and stock food inside gym.
- Tuesdays, 4:00–6:00 PM, bag groceries.
- Wednesdays, 5:30–8:30 PM, finish bagging perishables; hand out grocery bags to families as per roster; help register any newcomers. Spanish speakers needed.
Please note that the Rumney Marsh Academy where we are currently located requires volunteers to be at least 16 years old. In a few weeks, we will be moving the pantry back to the church, and children ages 10 and up are welcome to volunteer. Masks are required. Gloves will be provided.
Missionary Vehicle Needed
A missionary couple on furlough is in need of a vehicle to use for the next several months. Please contact the Missions office if you can help!
Live Streaming Audio Issues
We are so glad many of you join us on Sunday morning and afternoon for worship from the live stream! For those who notice a lag in the video stream or find that the sound is out of sync with speakers or singers, please refresh your browser.
AUG 7 | First Friday All-Church Prayer
Please join us on FRI, AUG 7 from 7:00 to 8:30 PM we pray together as a church community for each other and the world. Registration is required (see below).
AUG 9 | Park Street Prime
SUN AUG 9, 10:00–11:00 AM. On the second Sunday of each month, join the Community Director to learn about the church and meet others! Registration required.
SUN AUG 16 | In-Person Worship Service
As you may have heard announced by the Elders on Sunday, we will be opening our doors for an 8:30 AM in-person worship service, beginning SUN, AUG 16. This service will be different from the streamed 11:00 AM and 4:00 PM live-streamed worship services, which will continue in their current format. There will be no singing during the 8:30 AM service. We will observe and follow strict protocols for as long as is needed such as pre-registration, wearing of face masks, and social distancing. More details will be given in the coming weeks!
If statistics in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts worsen in our continuing battle against the coronavirus, we will need to revise this decision. However, at this time we believe these are small steps forward to opening up our meetinghouse and worshiping together in-person.
SUN AUG 16 | Communion Sunday
The ministerial staff and Board of Elders believe we should celebrate the sacrament of communion—the Lord’s Supper. Plans are being considered for the in-person 8:30 AM worship service on AUG 16, as well as at brief afternoon services in multiple outdoor locations throughout the Boston metro area that same day. These services will be led by a minister and an Elder. You must register to attend. Please mark your calendars, as this will be our first opportunity since the pandemic began to celebrate the Lord’s Supper together!
AUG 21 | All-Church Q&A
On FRI AUG 21, Park Street Church will hold an All-Church Q&A to share the leadership’s vision for the fall. This will be a hybrid event, where congregants will be able to attend both in-person and watch live. Questions will be taken online so that everyone will be able to participate.
More details will be shared in the coming weeks!
Park Street Softball
Park Street’s Summer Softball team is starting, with games on Saturdays from AUG 10 to SEP 12. Come out and play other local churches in a game of slow pitch softball!
Tea & Story: Seeing God in our Ordinary
MONDAYS, 1:30–2:00 PM. Sign in 10 minutes early just to chat.
God has made us for story—to be part of his and to hear each other’s. One woman shares a time when God was very present to her, also shares a Bible verse that relates, then we have a brief time of silence, then we are placed in random breakout groups, each of which has a leader, and we share from a few presented questions (not pressure to share). Then we go back to the main room and have a brief closing. We aim to be vigilant about keeping to 1/2 hour.
Prayer & Praise
Pray for the Congregation
- “I will sing of your love and justice; to you, Lord, I will sing praise” (Psa. 101:1);
- Know the hope to which God calls you (Eph. 1:18);
- Encourage each other while you still can (Heb. 3:13);
- Live as the people of God, not in the ways of the world (1 Pet. 2:9).
Pray for the People
- For our Global Missionaries and their families: soul refreshing restoration and renewal throughout August;
- For our Elders: wisdom from above for the work of the Racial Justice and Reconciliation Committee;
- For our Staff & Leaders: preparation for in-person worship on 8/16 in our meeting house and communion served around the city;
- Sympathy for the family of Ben Lohnes, whose mother Joan passed away on SUN JUL 26 after a long battle with cancer;
- Sympathy for the family of Jane Lawry, whose father John passed away on SAT JUL 18, he was a very faithful teacher in our FOCUS program;
- Hope for those struggling in marriage and family, and courage to reconcile by God’s grace;
- Wisdom for parents making decisions for children’s return to school;
- Perseverance and faith for those enduring chemotherapy and healing from cancer;
- Comfort for the brokenhearted, and solace for those who are mourning;
- Mercy and help for owners, employers and those seeking employment.
Pray for Grace
- For leaders and workers in the battle against COVID-19;
- To recognize the God-given dignity of all;
- To be Christ’s ambassadors according to his ministry of reconciliation.