Life of the Church
SUNDAY OCTOBER 18, 2020
Job Opening: Part-time Ministries Assistant
The Ministries Administrative Assistant (MAA) will serve as the primary administrative support for the Senior Minister and other ministers as needed and as time allows. This is a part-time (20 hrs/wk) position.
TONIGHT | Kawaiahao Bicentennial Speaker Series
SUN OCT 18, 10:00–11:30 PM (eastern time). Rachel Kaiama, an active member of the Kawaiha’o Church in Honolulu, Hawaii, will be giving a presentation about her visit to New England and Park Street Church last October. Her address includes a special appearance by our own Judi Manola, Chair of the Boston Bicentennial Celebration 2019 at Park Street Church.
MON OCT 19 | Gospel Conversations: Sharing our Stories
OCT 19, OCT 26, NOV 2, NOV 9 | 8:30–9:30 PM
How do we witness the gospel of Christ to each other—and see the work of God in our own lives? One of the most life-giving exercises we can do as Christians is to reflect on how the story of Jesus Christ has changed our own life-story. This spiritual discipline deepens our understanding of the gospel and helps us craft a reason for our faith that may be the most natural, personal, and compelling gospel witness that we will ever share with another person. Join us for a four-session workshop as we learn how to share our testimonies. We’ll have opportunities to learn, practice, ask questions, and hear each other’s stories about the grace and power of God. Email Amy with questions!
Oct 23 & 24 | Cru Boston Virtual Fall Retreat
Cru Boston is hosting its annual fall retreat for college students online this year. College students from all over Boston, and around the world, are invited to come and enjoy refreshment in the midst of a pandemic semester. This year’s theme is “Come & See”—an invitation to presence, formation, and empowerment in the context of community. There will be competition, small group breakouts, large group sessions with Pastor Enoch from BCEC (Boston Chinese Evangelical Church), and people sharing their stories. Plus, you’ll receive a gift box! We’ve also planned some non-Zoom activities for you! More details can be found at cruboston.com/fallretreat. Cost: $10, scholarships available. No cost for first-timers, but you still have to register. First-timers use code GATHERINGFIRST.
Questions? Contact Tammy.
SUN NOV 1 | Communion Gathering
We are excited to celebrate communion with you all during this COVID season! Our next outdoor communion gathering will be SUN NOV 1, 1:30–2:00 PM.
- Please bring a chair or blanket to use for the duration of the service.
- Each location will be capped at 50 people (defined as adults and those older than 12 years). Use the form below to register all of those who are older than 12 years (you do not need to register children under 12).
- Participants will wear masks and practice social distancing. If you show any signs or symptoms of COVID from 72 to 24 hours prior to the event, we request you refrain from attending.
NOV 6-15 | 2020 Global Missions Conference
Please note that many Park Street missionaries are working in restricted access countries. To ensure their safety, we are taking extra precautions to make the website secure, including requiring pre-registration. Thank you for understanding!
As we prepare for the conference, please pray:
- for Dr. Scott Sunquist, President of Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, who will be our guest speaker.
- for our staff and Missions Committee as they navigate new complexities and technical challenges involved in this first ever virtual conference.
- for our missionaries who will share with us how Christ’s love compels them in missions.
- that the Lord will work powerfully in our lives individually and as a church body, and that Christ’s love would indeed compel us to live for Him and to be a witness of Him both here in Boston and to the ends of the earth!
BCPC Virtual Galas
The Boston Center for Pregnancy Choices (BCPC) invites you to attend their free virtual “Gala,” which you can enjoy from the comfort of your own home. Beginning TUE, OCT 6 at 7:00 PM through OCT 26 you will hear incredible stories from women with an unplanned pregnancy who have decided to choose life for their baby. Although this event is free BCPC requests guests pre-register at LoveLifeNow.info and join us to be inspired, and hear what the Lord is doing through this life-saving ministry.
Questions? Email Homer Allen at BCPC
Tea & Story: Seeing God in our Ordinary
MONDAYS, 1:30–2:00 PM. Sign in 10 minutes early just to chat.
God has made us for story—to be part of his and to hear each other’s. One woman shares a time when God was very present to her, also shares a Bible verse that relates, then we have a brief time of silence, then we are placed in random breakout groups, each of which has a leader, and we share from a few presented questions (not pressure to share). Then we go back to the main room and have a brief closing. We aim to be vigilant about keeping to 1/2 hour.
Life Together Women's Bible Study
WEDNESDAYS, 10:00–11:15 AM. Looking to connect with other women during this time of social distancing? This fall, join a multi-generational group of women as they study the book of Hebrews. The study also involves a time of sharing and prayer. Meetings will be virtual until further notice.
Details about these and other events can be found on the events page!
Live over Zoom after each service:
Prayer & Praise
Pray for the Congregation
- “Your name, Lord, endures forever, your renown, Lord, through all generations” (Psa 135:13);
- Live by faith, not by sight (2 Cor 5:7);
- Show mercy to one another (Luk 6:36);
- Identify with Christ through suffering (Gal 6:18).
Pray for the People
- For our Missionaries: extra grace and strength as they prepare to participate in the upcoming Global Missions Conference;
- For our Elders: wisdom, unity and grace while making decisions and directing the course of our church;
- For our Deacons: joy in the care and encouragement of vulnerable members of our community;
- For our Staff: winsome grace to spur members of our community toward love and good deeds;
- Strength, endurance and insight for medical professionals, researchers, and the Coronavirus task force;
- Comfort and healing for former missionary Bill O’Donnell, along with peace and strength for his wife Anne;
- Patience, healing, and grace for all ill or battling COVID-19, and protection for those with underlying health conditions or susceptible to harsher symptoms;
- Compassion, dignity, and help for all who rely on disability, social security or other government resources;
- Changed hearts in a struggling marriage, and renewed commitment to reconcile by God’s strength;
- Hope and help for those unemployed and unsure how to put food on the table or keep a roof overhead.
Pray for Grace
- To seek unity within the body of Christ;
- To give generously and serve faithfully;
- To show love to a hurting world in Christ’s name.