Life of the Church
SUNDAY JULY 26, 2020
We are very excited to announce a new online giving platform called “Realm.” Today when you visit www.parkstreet.org/giveonline, you will be taken to a secure, updated webpage. You will be required to change your password for security purposes. When you log in, all of your scheduled giving and giving history will be easily accessible.
Modern member databases like Realm have so much to offer in terms of connecting members with ministers, organizing volunteers, family ministry check-in and other features, in addition to updated online giving options. As a product designed just for churches, Realm lets us all stay in touch. You can even share photos and messages directly from your phone or computer. Realm will also be accessible via mobile apps!
As you would expect, you can update your family’s information and decide who can see it, as well as view your giving history and make contributions online.
Each of us can make this new resource a success. If you have never signed up to use MyPSC, please email [email protected] and we will send you an invitation!
SUN AUG 16 | In-Person Worship Service
As you may have heard announced by the Elders on Sunday, we will be opening our doors for an 8:30 AM in-person worship service, beginning SUN, AUG 16. This service will be different from the streamed 11:00 AM and 4:00 PM live-streamed worship services, which will continue in their current format. There will be no singing during the 8:30 AM service. We will observe and follow strict protocols for as long as is needed such as pre-registration, wearing of face masks, and social distancing. More details will be given in the coming weeks!
If statistics in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts worsen in our continuing battle against the coronavirus, we will need to revise this decision. However, at this time we believe these are small steps forward to opening up our meetinghouse and worshiping together in-person.
SUN AUG 16 | Communion Sunday
The ministerial staff and Board of Elders believe we should celebrate the sacrament of communion—the Lord’s Supper. Plans are being considered for the in-person 8:30 AM worship service on AUG 16, as well as at brief afternoon services in multiple outdoor locations throughout the Boston metro area that same day. These services will be led by a minister and an Elder. Please mark your calendars, as this will be our first opportunity since the pandemic began to celebrate the Lord’s Supper together!
Live Streaming Audio Issues
We are so glad many of you join us on Sunday morning and afternoon for worship from the live stream! For those who notice a lag in the video stream or find that the sound is out of sync with speakers or singers, please refresh your browser.
Job Opening: Van Baay House Resident Director(s)
Park Street Church’s ministry to internationals is currently seeking a Resident Director(s) for the Van Baay House (VBH), located near Harvard Square in Cambridge. Eight Christian international students/scholars, plus the Director(s) live at the VBH. The Director(s) work closely with the Minister to Internationals, and provide mentoring, guidance, and leadership for those in the international fellowship and related ministries. Please contact Carol Scott for a job description and application instructions.
First Friday All-Church Prayer
Please join us on FRI, AUG 7 from 7:00–8:30 PM we pray together as a church community for each other and the world. Registration is required (see below).
Summer Worship Communities
Virtual and At-Home Worshiping Communities are similar to small groups but are focused around Sunday practices of worship, fellowship, and prayer.
- 6–15 people streaming the 11:00 AM or 4:00 PM service;
- Virtual gatherings using Zoom or if preferred backyard at-home meetings throughout the summer;
- Resources for groups will make participation simple;
Existing small groups or friendship groups are welcome to sign up together;
- Individuals not already part of an existing group will be placed into groups based on an option of personal preferences.
The Lord wants all of us to worship together, minimizing isolation, and to be organized for mission. Sunday Worship Communities help us become more nimble and able to navigate the uncertain length of the pandemic. We can’t wait to be worshiping all together in a jam-packed sanctuary, but since that time is a ways off, we invite you to register yourself as an individual or family, or as an existing small group or friendship group.
Park Street Softball
Park Street’s Summer Softball team is starting, with games on Saturdays from AUG 10 to SEP 12. Come out and play other local churches in a game of slow pitch softball!
Tea & Story: Seeing God in our Ordinary
MONDAYS, 1:30–2:00 PM. Sign in 10 minutes early just to chat.
God has made us for story—to be part of his and to hear each other’s. One woman shares a time when God was very present to her, also shares a Bible verse that relates, then we have a brief time of silence, then we are placed in random breakout groups, each of which has a leader, and we share from a few presented questions (not pressure to share). Then we go back to the main room and have a brief closing. We aim to be vigilant about keeping to 1/2 hour.
Park Street Prime (Second Sunday)
SUN AUG 9, 10:00 AM–11:00 AM. On the second Sunday of each month, join the Community Director to learn about the church and meet others! Registration required.
Need a Weekend Away?
Need a weekend away? Bring your family and friends to Camp Brookwoods and Deer Run for one of our Winnipesaukee Weekends! Every weekend between now and August 23rd, you can swim in the lake, canoe, fish, hike, do camp activities, and make s’mores! (AUG 13–16 is sold out.) Special “worship under the pines” will be offered on Sunday. Housing, meals and activities are included.
Lexington Christian Summer Academy
With camps closed and summer internships interrupted, you may be wondering how to keep kids busy and engaged over the summer. Lexington Christian Academy (LCA) has put together an engaging program designed to help students get ready for school in the fall. LCA has been working to make remote learning engaging, so these courses won’t be boring!
Prayer & Praise
Pray for the Congregation
- “Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him” (Psa. 62:5);
- Be strengthened in the peace of Christ (Php. 4:13);
- Pray in the Spirit, at all times (Eph. 6:18);
- Walk by the Spirit, resisting the desires of the flesh (Gal. 5:16).
Pray for the People
- For our Global Missionaries: an outpouring of God’s Spirit for advancement of the gospel;
- For our Elders: insight from planned study groups to plan wisely; and wisdom, unity and grace for the work of the Racial Justice and Reconciliation Committee;
- For our Community: that our worship brings praise to God, and we draw near to each other in gentleness and love;
- For our nation’s essential workers: divine help and hope to meet extraordinary physical, emotional and spiritual needs;
- For those needing visas: peace while awaiting outcomes from diligent work of adjudicators;
- For care providers: patient trust in God through this season of trials and uncertainty;
- For those recovering from illness: God’s comfort, strength and healing;
- Courage to face fears and feelings, and God’s help to change;
- Encouragement for those struggling with loneliness or depression;
- Hope for those struggling in marriage and family, and courage to reconcile by God’s strength;
- Mercy and help for owners, employers and those seeking employment.
Pray for Grace
- To mitigate the spread and impact of COVID-19;
- To lament indifference to injustice and inequality;
- To act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with God.